Saturday 12 September 2015

These are a few of my favorite things... well, eyeshadows!

Make up. I hold my hand up and admit I love the stuff. I would even go as far as saying I have a slight, but manageable addiction, to it. So much so, that recently, because I never use my bathtub I covered it up with the old canvases (I'm also into painting) that I don't use, slapped a table cloth over it, and created a make up shelf! To be fair, I rent my house so I can't go slapping up shelving willy nilly.

And if I'm being honest, I really do have too much of the stuff. Seriously, no one needs so much make up. But, I like to buy it and try new products. *shrugs* What can I do?

Well, I can start sharing some of my favorite goodies that I consistently go back to over and over. I'm going to start with eyeshadows.

I use a wide range from low to high end. I'm not one of these people who avoids make up because it's only a couple of $ at the drugstore. No, I'm more likely to buy it because it's only a couple of $.

I have noticed over the years that the lower end brands have really picked up their game. The quality of the products are amazing, They're long wearing and extremely pigmented.

I should point out I live in Australia and for some reason make up, compared to countries like the US and UK, is ridiculously expensive here. Even the drugstore products. So, I do order online from the US a lot. Plus, I also take advantage of the sales.

If I can impart only one piece of advice in my entire life - NEVER PAY FULL PRICE for anything. Except one of my books, because hey, I need the funds to keep up my make up addiction! 

So, without further ado - here are my top three eyeshadows I use religiously... (they're all long wearing so these bad boys aren't going anywhere and will last all day).

Oh, before we get started I will say I tend to buy more palettes than single shadows. This is simply because I think palettes are better value for money.



This came in at number 3 simply because I really only use one colour - Dusty Rose (top left hand corner). It makes a great transition colour in the crease of your eyelid. I tried to do some swatches but I can't take a decent photo one handed! These colours are highly pigmented and can be used wet or dry. The shadows range from velvety, to matte, to shimmery.

You can pick up this palette for $30 HERE.



OK, it would be remiss of me not to mention this straight away - these shadows smell like chocolate because the shadows themselves have been infused with cocoa. I kid you not! I love opening the palette and taking a good old whiff. Honestly, these smell good enough to eat. 

There is another palette from Too Faced called Chocolate Bar and I've heard more good things about that palette than the Semi Sweet one. I don't have the other palette so I can't comment, but I really love this one. The colours are highly pigmented and can be used wet or dry. They're great for days when you want a more neutral look.  

The palette has both matte and shimmer shadows. And the names of the shadows make you so hungry! Check them out: Licorice, Nougat, Truffled, Hot Fudge, Cocoa Chili, Pink Sugar, Puddin', Blueberry Swirl, Peanut Butter, Frosting, Rum Raisin, Mousse, Caramel, Bon Bon, Butter Pecan, and Coconut Crème. 

I honestly can't pick a favorite shade. I love them all.

You can pick up this palette for $49 HERE.



I LOVE LOVE LOVE this palette. Aside from the fact you get 35, highly pigmented colors that can be used wet or dry, this costs less than $20! How amazing is that. Now, I'm not going to lie - I understand that people may get a little freaked out by using color. I'm not one of those people. I combine these colors with the ones from the Semi Sweet Chocolate Bar just to add a pop of color.

The only thing I don't like - the colors don't have names. So I'll point you to my fav...Forth color in on the bottom row. Makes a fantastic transition shade. Third one down on the right. Love it. I apply it wet to my lids.

I think these are great value for money. It usually retails for $40, but as I said you can get it for less than $20. They do a wide range of palettes and I'm thinking of getting some more. Not that I really need it. Yes, I do!

You can pick up this palette for $19.99 HERE.

So, there you have it. My top 3 shadows. I would love to hear if you've used any of them and if you have, what did you think of them? I would also love to hear what you're favorite shadows are as well. What would you recommend? What can/can't live without?

4 comments:

  1. I'm 54 years old and have the greasy face of a teenager! I can't wear makeup for more than a couple hours, or it starts sliding off. The only thing I do religiously is use eyeliner, and it is powdered to within an inch of its life. I reapply at lunchtime. I used to work as a clown, and learned the value of powdering. It helps me some, but I still don't get more than a few hours out of it, much less a whole day! haha! I sort of envy you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain, susabelle! What i fibd really healos is... Nivea for Men Aftershave Balm. Yes, you read that right. I slap it on prior to foundation. Rub it it until its tacky. The number 1 ingredient is glycerin, which makes your make up stick like glue. Well, at least it does for me. Give it a go and see how it works for you.

      Delete
  2. I love Anastasia products, Louise, especially the eyebrow kit. I'm an Almay girl, too. I have hazel eyes, so I love the lavender kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been dying to try th ABH brow whizz. I am trying to justify the cost of ordering it from the US. I must give Almay a try. I've only heard good things about it.

      Delete